Congratulations, you’ve bought your first home! Not only have you just experienced one of the major milestones in your life, you’ve also stepped into one of the most important financial investments you’ll make.
Moving out of home and into your first home is an exciting time, but emotions are running high. You probably want nothing more than to run down to the supermarket and purchase a kilo of avocados. Understandably, it can be easy to forget about the important and less obvious aspects of moving.
That’s why we’ve put together a moving checklist to help you move into your first house.
Before you move in
- Clean the house from top to bottom before you bring in all of your furniture and belongings. This way you won’t have to shuffle furniture around the house later on.
- Organise and book in your routine service checks and updates such as plumbing and air conditioning.
- Consider completing the quick renovations, such as painting, before you move in and avoid having to worry about protecting your belongings during renovations.
- Book your removalist and get packing! If you don’t have time to do the packing yourself, consider hiring the professionals to pack for you.
- Update your billing and address information with the banks, the Taxation office, subscription services and of course, your friends and family.
- Organise your insurance, electricity and communications so you’re connected and protected from day one in your new home.
- Pack an emergency “survival pack” of items you might need immediately at your new home. Think electric kettle, coffee mugs, toilet paper, screw driver and tissues.
- Make your property energy efficient and install LED bulbs.
- Make your home safe and install any security locks and plans such as a fire escape plan.
- Unpack your moving boxes and start organising your house. Start with the rooms that are most essential first, such as the bathroom and the bedroom.
- Meet the neighbours and get to know your new neighbourhood, including local restaurants. No one wants to cook on their first night in their new home!
- Keep a running checklist of the things you still need to buy or organise for the house.
- Do a grocery shop for the essentials and buy yourself a celebratory avocado. But don’t forget the dish soap, toilet paper and toothpaste!
- Remove and dispose of any packaging waste that was produced when you were moving in.
- Start decorating your new home and make it your own.
Moving into a new house is a big task and there’s a lot involved in the process. Let Grace take care of the packing, transportation, delivery and unpacking so you can focus on setting up your new home the way you want it. Get your free online quote today.