Crossing the ditch is something hundreds of Australians do each year. The Daily Mail reported more than 25,000 people migrating to New Zealand in a period of just 12 months. Australians are now the country’s largest number of imports. Last year (2017) marked the first time ever that there were more Australians migrating to NZ than there are New Zealanders moving to Australia. It’s not without its legalities though.

Visa options

If you’re a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, you don’t need a visa to live and work in New Zealand. Australians also don’t need to have secured a job before arriving in the country but they do need a valid passport, and to prove they have good health and a good character. If, however, you’re on a temporary visa in Australia, you’ll need a visa to the country. New Zealand has a range of visa options for those who are not Australian citizens, here.

Banking and Superannuation

If you’re planning on getting paid for your work in New Zealand, you’ll need to open a bank account. New Zealand’s major banks include:

New Zealand uses dollars and cents, as well as debit and credit cards.

If you are eligible for the Australian aged-pension, you can claim this in New Zealand.


In order to get paid in New Zealand, you’ll also need to apply for an IRD, the New Zealand version of the Tax File Number. New Zealand is subject to a GST (Goods and Service Tax) which is 15 per cent on most things you’ll purchase. There’s also a variable tax paid through PAYE system that needs to be paid and is dependent on your income. Just as in Australia, housing taxes also apply.


If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible for the full range of publicly funded health care, provided you can demonstrate an intention to stay in New Zealand for at least two years continually. For more information on the publicly funded health and disability services in New Zealand, visit the Ministry of Health website.


Just as in Australia, if you’re over the age of 18, you must be enrolled to vote in New Zealand. If you’ve lived in the country for more than one year continuously at some time in your life, you’ll need to enrol. To enrol and vote for the first time, visit the Electoral Commission website.

Need help relocating to New Zealand? Grace provide a range of comprehensive specialist services and destinations services to ensure your relocation is stress-free. Get in touch with us to discuss your move today.